Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Homemade Coleslaw

Pin It Picture 024 
Summer is on it’s way ladies, and summer means barbqs, picnics, and meals that don’t required a lot of standing over hot ovens and stoves, right?  Coleslaw is one of the classic summer salads although with local cabbage being available nearly year-round, there is no reason not to enjoy it at any time!
Picture 110
I have a confession to make: forever I’ve been buying those bags of pre-shredded cabbage and the jars of coleslaw dressing.  Then I remembered that i used to  make coleslaw for the deli I worked at in college, and it was super easy and more tasty than the stuff I was buying and paying extra money for at the store, so I decided to give it a try last month and I am so glad I did.
Picture 056
Making coleslaw yourself is cheap, easy, and delicious, and you can control the ingredients yourself to help manage your sugar, fat and salt intake.
Creamy Coleslaw (or Cabbage Salad as some would say)
1/2 Head cabbage (I do half a head at a time because we are a small family, but of course you can very easily double this)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (I advise you use the REAL stuff, but I leave it to your discretion)
1 1/2 Tblspn Sugar
1 1/2 Tblspn Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 teaspn kosher salt (or to taste)
generous sprinkling of fresh-ground black pepper
Picture 016    Picture 017
1. Half your cabbage and core it, and put the other half in the fridge for a different recipe or, if you’re like me, more coleslaw later in the week.  Get out your cheese grater and shred the cabbage with the broad side of the shredder, not the fine side.  If you have a food processor that is good at shredding go ahead and use that, you might get a chunkier texture if that is what you prefer.
Picture 019
2. In a large glass measuring cup, or in a medium bowl, add the mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar, and whip up with a fork or whisk.
Picture 018
3. Stir the shredded cabbage and dressing in a large bowl until well-mixed.  Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over salad, and mix again.
     Picture 021 
4. I like to refrigerate mine for an hour or so before serving, but honestly its delicious the minute its done.
Do any of you ladies have a coleslaw recipe that you like?  Pass it on!!

Glad to be joining  Simple Living for Foodie Fridays, Hey Mom Whats for Dinner for Just Another Meatless Monday, and Veggie Momma for Meatless Mondays.
Pin It

2 comments:

Sarah @ Nature's Nurture said...

OMG I just love you right now! I love coleslaw but never tried making it, and this recipe is just too easy not to try. Thanks!

keepinitruralinthemidwest said...

I love coleslaw in Summer! I have always used the recipe in the back of Best Foods Mayo jar... YUM!!